"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Thursday, August 15, 2013

I'm Such A Space-Agey Gal


So, yes, well, cough, hmm - major confession ahead - today, for the very first time, I "graduated" to an e-reader. Yep, I'm not an early adopter (though I am an enthusiastic user of technology if I discover it suits my needs)

It's not that I've had anything against e-readers up until now - for the longest time, I've been playing with the idea of scooting around the Internet ordering exotic and hard-to-get books and magazines from afar, and I quite like the idea of reading without accumulating more books for my already overburdened shelves. The truth is, I'm a bit lazy, and I just didn't feel an overwhelming need to check out the hardware and make the change. My TBR stacks of print books have kept me entertained for years, and there are still enough left to see me through the boring years of an imminent zombie apocalypse if need be. Also, I'm the kind of person who needs impetus and speed, and possibly a push, to leap new technological gaps and add another of those latest must-have gadgets to my ever-expanding collection of things that need constant recharging.

But now, with my judging duties for the 2013 Australian Shadows Awards picking up steam, I've finally made the leap, simply because it's just so very practical to download the bigger files emailed out by Shadow HQ and read them on the train to and from the Arvo Job. I'm still getting the hang of holding it and flicking the pages, but it's going well so far. Time will tell if the habit sticks.

So yeah, e-reading. Living in the future. Finally. Wow. :)

2 comments:

parlance said...

I have a somewhat clunky old eReader I bought years ago, which does have the advantage that it takes all types of files. I don't read books on it, unless they're super short, but it's great for short stories.

Gitte Christensen said...

I wish mine took all types of files! That'd be truly handy. Sometimes the old stuff is the best. And yes, me too - even though I'm still on training wheels with my eReader, I suspect I'll also be sticking to short stories.