"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Thursday, August 1, 2013

Cat Post By Stealth


I'm going to use my love of archaeology (long ago, I studied Near Oriental Archaeology at the University of Copenhagen. We used to have the coolest tutorials in the back rooms of big, old museums surrounded by floor-to-high-ceiling-high stacked collections of colonial-era plunder. There's nothing like a few sarcophagi and statues of ancient deities staring at you to set the mood) to sneak in one of those often maligned cat posts by linking to this piece about how long before the Internet with its LOL cats and Grumpy Cat made the lives of dog folk and ailurophobes a wretched misery, ancient cultures had cat memes too.

No kidding? Perused any Ancient Egyptian stuff lately? I wonder if the good folk of the Upper and Lower Nile also made a fuss and went around groaning about the latest papyrus full of felines, mocking temple statues, cursing Bastet and all her fine arts incarnations, and shaking their heads in pity at painters who employed the ubiquitous feline motifs, to use the correct term.

Anyway, the author writes .:
Take a dour little kitty artifact that resides in the American Museum of Natural History. He is Grumpy Cat’s distant cousin. Let’s call him Old Grumpy Cat, or OGC. Museum officials call him a ceramic bottle, and say he probably came from Northern Peru. Created about 2,000 years ago, he was likely used for special ceremonies, then part of a burial.

Which is great, because I also get to add a photo of the cutie. On top of that, I now have an excuse to add the only LOL cat picture that made me laugh enough for me to want to save it.

Enjoy:

 
 

No comments: