"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Energy Diversion


Today was a public holiday (Melbourne Cup Day), so I diverted the energy I would usually dole out on commuting to the city and expend on doing my bit at the Arvo Job into catching up on sadly neglected cleaning chores that often feel like a bridge too far during a normal work week. The place was starting to feel way too cobwebby and dusty for my peace of mind.

All the big rugs were washed and hung to dry out in the wonderful, warm, jasmine-scented Spring air, and tomorrow I plan to wash the floorboards before returning said rugs to their rightful places. Covers and cat bedding and assorted throws are likewise enjoying a night out under the stars and wafting in the freshening breezes. I also weeded - the back garden is mostly presentable now except for one damned black spot that I will out, out next for 'tis time to do't - and, continuing my Great and Borderline Obsessive Destacking Quest, I got rid of as many old cardboard boxes from the back shed as my recycle bin could hold. I'm already scoping out my next stack (once all the old cardboard boxes are gone). I think it'll be those printed copies of the different drafts of the first two books of my way-too-massive SF saga. Hard to part with, but they fill a lot of space, and my Great but Neglected Work is all safely stowed on multiple hard drives anyway.

I also baked and did a lot of reading.

All of this may seem like dreary stuff to post about, but I'm excited, because I can feel it's part of my old cycle of tidying up my physical environment after a period of relative blahness and so-so writing in readiness for a creative surge above and beyond my usual daily output. Things are bubbling.

And I did write today as well, in between my Herculean tasks. I ripped apart one of my darlings that just isn't being snapped up despite kind comments, and ruthlessly edited it. I'm determined that it SHALL be sold! The process was, satisfactorily, a lot like destacking :)

Now for some baked goodies and visual entertainment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Feeling so productive- even if tasks are mundane is fantastic. I changed my cat hair covered bedding today and it is lovely to be in a clean and crisp bed.

I am renovating currently and I went out looking at appliances and kitchen fittings. Find it all overwhelming, too many choices plus they are all costly....however, can see it is coming together and hopefully my cats and I will be back home next year. Already been displaced for 4 months.

What ever life brings, we have to face them, dust ourselves off and keep on going.

A positive attitude based on some reality helps too.

Gitte Christensen said...


A positive but reality-based attitude is a must in this life, I find, though sometimes you have to really work at it and scrape the barrel for those pluses :)

There's definitely no place like home, especially with it all clean and fresh-smelling, so I hope you and your cats are soon back where you all belong. It sounds good with renovations though, and will be worth the hassle when it's done, but I know from my brother and his Victorian pile that they can take longer than expected and cause much displacement. Soldier on.