"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Quicksteps


I'm usually a one speed person when walking - zip, zip, zip with an invisible, soundless horn that I mentally honk at the sloooooow people who always seem to be blocking my path. This is still my default setting the moment I step off the train and hit the pavements of Melbourne, and the one I ratchet up when doing medicinal laps of the local botanical gardens, but I noticed about six months ago that I'd finally developed a second speed for living in the country. It only took four years, but now, when I head off for local doings, I positively amble.

I'm very conscious of the change and quite enjoying it. I schedule more time to accommodate this more relaxed state. I used to stress out getting to the train in the mornings, but now I mosey along thinking things and admiring the gardens that line the streets. I used to step off the train at night and rush home so I'd have an extra five minutes for doing domestic whatevers, but now I potter along enjoying the stars, moon, creek sounds, trees in the darkness and whatever wildlife decides to jump out and scare me. Now, when I head off for a bills paying and shopping trip, I simply cannot make myself pour on the gas. This is good, as it also helps me blend in - I once met a local woman in Melbourne who, though a stranger to me, said she recognised me because she'd seen me speeding between shops as I went about my business in town.

So yes, I did some local ambling today, and thought about that ambling and what it meant, and also did much chatting with the girl in the fruit shop. I'm a Wednesday regular now. I did writerly stuff too - writing, of course, subbed 3 stories (one was a recent rejection which an upcoming antho held for close to seven months, almost took, but in the end decided it didn't fit the tone. I'm really starting to dislike that phrase. What's so untoney about my stories? Ah well, onwards...) and wrangled content for the great, individual contributor pages Carrie Cuin is busily setting up over at Lakeside Circus. For now, my page reads: This performer is still getting ready for the show. While you wait, try your luck at a game of chance. We hear the ring toss is not quite as rigged as some of the other booths. Issue One is out on Friday, so you can view my efforts then.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is therapeutic to slow down and try to live more in the moment and not rush and miss the day to day stuff that happens along the way.
Slow down, don't stress and feel less anxious. It is easy to feel like we have to make the most of the limited time we have in a day. Leads to illness and feeling on edge all the time.
I have consciously tried to change this aspect of how I lived my life. It is undoing some of the discipline and learning from the last. We can do it.

Gitte Christensen said...


Wise words. Thank you. Mostly I too am very conscious of taking time out every day to enjoy things like reading whilst tea drinking, cat patting, story pondering (aka daydreaming)and other such assorted pleasures, but walking, until recently, has just always been a full on thing for me. But now I can also amble - yay!