"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Sunday, January 23, 2011

Wet and Dry

It's been a rather wet and stormy around here in Central Victoria lately - our CBD flooded last week, trees came crashing down, the power was out, and for a while, my brother, who lives a couple of towns over, was stranded on an island- but it felt a tad me-tooish to mention it when the situation in Queensland was so bad.

Anyway, the local waterways have subsided back to their normal levels and mud has been scraped away and things are starting to dry out now, although it's still messy along the creeks with all the debris that got washed downstream and dumped here. Many towns further out, of course, are far far worse off than here - they're still underwater, and people haven't been able to go home yet.

Here are some before and back to normal pictures (this embankment is a 2 meter drop).
An extra creek:







The water rose over 2 meters to the reach the bridge:


And this was my view from a train platform last week. The "river" you see is the parking lot on the opposite side of the tracks to where I was standing.

Amazingly, I still got to the Arvo Job.

No comments: