"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Wednesday, January 26, 2011

When Polly came limping home again..

My plan to celebrate Australia Day with countless hours of focused writing was somewhat shot by Polly going AWOL overnight. For the first time ever, she just wasn't on the porch waiting for me last night when I came home after the movies. I spent the morning trying not to think about car accidents and dog attacks, so the 4 hours I scrounged at the keyboard after checking the neighbourhood and looking under the house for a small, furry, black body were spent tinkering on short, light stories rather than flat out writing on bigger projects.

And lo, I was just on the verge of allowing myself to really worry, and was starting to plan the leaflet campaign and an animal shelter visit when, at about 7 pm while I was tying up tomatoes in the backyard, she came limping through the long grass. She hissed and snarled for about half an hour whenever I patted her even though she clearly wanted the physical contact, then finally settled down and proceeded to bitch about whatever it was that had happened to her, which was obviously an adventure of the darker sort.

So, it's good thing I've got a few more days off to make up lost ground.

No comments: