"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Saturday, June 11, 2011

Chatting at Continuum

After the Arvo Job yesterday evening, I walked up St Kilda Road to the city to catch a couple of hours of Continuum 7, the annual Melbourne speculative fiction and pop culture convention before catching a late train (the Friday Night Packed to the Roof Footy Special - aaaah!) home.

It was fantastic to let loose and talk shop with folk who also get genuinely excited about topics like markets, editors, rejections and, of course, those elusive acceptances. I caught up with Steve Cameron, whom I met at a weekend workshop held by Sean Williams a few years ago, and discovered that his story ‘So Sad, the Lighthouse Keeper’, after many rejections and rewrites, will be in Coeur de Lion's forthcoming science fiction anthology Anywhere But Earth. Colour me green with envy. I saw this story when it was but a baby, and it had everyone at the workshop talking then, so I look forward to seeing what it eventually morphed into.

I also caught up with a few people from the YOSF&F workshop held by Paul Collins last year, and we got to see Paul presented with the A Bertram Chandler Award for Lifetime Service to Australian Science Fiction. Afterwards he launched his latest YA title, Mole Hunt. I, naturally, have a signed copy.

Chat, chat, chat, it was all fun. Anyway, I must head for bed soon - there is much to do this lovely long Queen's Birthday weekend.

4 comments:

Steve Cameron said...

Gitte,

It was fabulous catching up with you too. We always seem to just meet in passing, like at Worldcon, so it was great to finally spend some time talking.

And thanks very much for the kind words. I must admit to being jealous of your sale to Ticonderoga, and I'm really looking forward to reading your story in their Year's Best collection.

Steve Cameron

JD said...

Hey Gitte

Great to have caught up with you, albeit very briefly. Wish you'd come out to dinner with us -- Sherree and LynC came along. Next time!
Cheers
Paul

Gitte Christensen said...

Hi Steve,

Thank you,it was good catch up properly. May it happen many more times in the years to come.

As for the being jealous of each other's publications, I suspect it comes with the territory. If we're lucky, we'll both have many more occassions to seethe with envy :)

Gitte Christensen said...

Hi Paul,

I was sorry to miss the dinner too - those darn country trains don't leave much time for random partying. At future cons, now that I'm getting the hang of them, I think I'll arrange for accomodation in the city.

And congrats again with both the book and the award.