"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Monday, November 21, 2011

Crepuscular kangas

It still surprises me. I get off the late train, I'm walking through the very dark, empty streets, usually looking up at the amazing starscape we have out here without Melbourne's light pollution, I hear the ominous sound of cracking and crashing vegetation or a subdued but strange thump, thump, and suddenly a kangaroo comes hopping from the shadows, sees me, and without a pause, veers around me or off up a side street.

Tonight's late night bounder appeared on the footpath just meters from home, and we didn't see each other until the last moment. I'm not sure which of us was the more surprised. I just hope I don't see its corpse somewhere up the road tomorrow.

No comments: