"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Tuesday, November 1, 2011

End of the Month Report: October

Submissions: 2 (not many rejections, my stories are being kept longer, and I have a lot of almost ready to go stuff but it's all in need of a final spit and polish)
Rejections: 3
Acceptances: 0
Published: 1 (Quick Fix in Bards and Sages October Issue)
Stories out in the wild: 7
New stories completed: 1 (the harpy story - but it needs to sit a while)
Mood: Optimistic about the way my backlog of stories are slowly finding homes. I keep a diary in which each story has its own section, and I diligently record its ups and downs in the world, and give it a gold star when it's accepted (childish, I know, but fun and immensely satisfying). Some stories are snapped up "quickly" i.e only rejected once or twice, which is about six months worth of waiting, while others take years to find the right editor at the right time, so one's sense of continuity easily becomes skewed. However, sticking in a star for the latest antho acceptance, I realised that I have a section where eight consecutive stories have all been published, small gaps on either side, and then more sporadic stars. Perhaps some of those earlier stories will never find homes, but it was a very visual and very encouraging reminder to me that writing and publishing work in time frames that are almost geological. I know I've been through a few Ice Ages.

So, once more, the key words writers need to cling to are our old friends PATIENCE and PERSISTENCE.

No comments: