"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Some light blogging

I'd love to stop and blog at length, but this is giving me pause for thought:

"Not many people realise this but the internet is a major energy consumer. Think of all the electricity consumed by all the PCs in the world when they are on, as well as the local hubs, regional data centres, company servers, the transmission lines run by telecoms and intermediate routers. Over the next decade, it is projected the internet will count for half of the world's energy consumption — unless we can switch from using electrons to transmit information to photons of light instead."

Half the world's energy consumption? Apparently, the solution is a worldwide internet operating solely with light. Click here for further illumination.

I can feel a bad 'beam up my blog' pun or joke at the back of my mind wrestling to get free, so I'll bow out now before I give in to the temptation.

No comments: