"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Friday, January 20, 2012

Norwegian Goods

I'm just back from a double dose of Norwegian entertainment. There was lots of snow and blood. First up was The Troll Hunter, which made it abundantly clear to me that there just aren't enough troll movies out there. Initially, I thought the movie was going to be too much shaky cam with only teasing glimpses of the fairy tale creatures in question, but nope, it turned out to be a true troll documentary as well as an exciting adventure with comments on human nature and politics to boot.

After that, it was Nazi zombies tearing through snowfields and intestines in Dead Snow, all done with about as much good taste as a zombie movie can muster and great globs of disgusting humour. I'd seen this movie before at the Melbourne Film Festival a few years ago, but it was fun to watch again, or rather, to not watch, as I put my hands over my eyes whenever it got too scary or gory.

The crowds outside the theatre after this double feature were in a fine mood, laughing, joking, and bonding with strangers over brain spillage, blood spurting and beautiful Norwegian scenery. Honestly, there's nothing like an educational troll film and a good, wholesome zombie flick to bring people together.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG, the TROLL HUNTER!

I have a bunch of Kittelsen-illustrated kids books that I LOVE, and an awesome troll movie sounds like my idea of heaven. So, you reckon watch the original Norwegian one and don't wait for the Chris Columbus remake?

I really liked the troll story that was in the November Asimov's, too. Even though it was totally not science fiction.

TROLLS TROLLS FOR EVERYONE! :D

Thoraiya

Gitte Christensen said...

Hi Thoraiya,

Thank you very much for dropping by and leaving a comment.

If you’re a Kittelsen fan, you’ll adore this movie. There are overtones of his artwork in many of the scenes. Definitely go for this original version! I mean, Norwegians get trolls. They know how to do troll in-jokes while at the same time respecting their monstrous place in the eco-system, whereas Chris (grrrr for what he did to 'Bicentennial Man') as an outsider, might not fully appreciate the subtlety of trollish rock-throwing and forest-flattening behaviour.

I haven’t read the troll story in Asimov’s yet, but will get onto it quick smart *eyes the towering TBR stacks of books and mags*. I’m just glad that trolls are finally getting the exposure they deserve.

Are trolls the new vampires, I wonder. They have the rugged good looks, they have the charm, though their limited vocabularies and gross table manners might be a turn off.

Anonymous said...

No problem. I landed here looking for the Shanghai Steam guidelines. Too cool an idea not to submit, right? Here's to us making the TOC together :)

I am so getting a copy of the Troll Hunter DVD. You're right about the visuals being Kittelsen-inspired - I had a look at the trailer, and that 3 headed one is EXACTLY like the drawing!! EXCELLENT!

Trolls should be the new vampires. Maybe they do chew with their mouths open, but they have the distinct sexiness advantage over vampires in that they are actually alive :p

Thoraiya

Gitte Christensen said...

Ah, all is explained. I must admit, I was wondering what brought you to this neck of the woods :) Good luck with the anthology. It really would be very cool to get into this one.

And enjoy the Troll Hunter, but please, do try to control yourself when those shaggy, smelly, irresistible Scandinavian hunks lumber across the screen.