"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Sunday, January 8, 2012

Regency a go-go

Ever since parlance left a comment here a few weeks ago about Georgette Heyer, I'm bumping into her everywhere (Georgette, not parlance). She's cropped up in multiple conversations, suddenly appeared on bookshelves, and in this morning's Age, there's a review about Jennifer Kloester's book Georgette Heyer: Biography of a Bestseller. Then, just now over at Lair of the Evil Drs Brain, where Lisa Hannett and Angela Slatter interview China Miéville, up she pops again, this time in the extremely pertinent question "Georgette Heyer or Jane Austen?" According to the Evil Drs Brain, he chooses the right answer.

Putting on my magical-thinking / scavenging-random-input-for-a-story hat, I'm wondering if I should write a Regency novel set on a rocketship (although I'm pretty sure it's already been done) with arisocrats, aliens, snuff boxes and snorting space steeds. Hmmm.

Anyway, onwards to my next GH encounter, and my keyboard. It's a lovely, rainy morning, perfect for writing on this, the last day of my holidays *sniff*.

2 comments:

parlance said...

Just a couple of thoughts. First, thanks for mentioning me.

Second, have you already heard of that statistic that's thrown around at times, that some huge proportion of female sf and fantasy readers were readers of Georgette Heyer in their younger years?

Third, I think it would be a great idea to write a 'novel of manners' (or whatever they're called when they're not set precisely in the Regency) set in some future or alternate universe and in space. I feel sure I've read something like that in my romance-fantasy-sf crossover reading, but none comes to mind, so maybe you're the first! I think it would be fun to write.

Gitte Christensen said...

Thank you for dropping by so often and leaving comments.

I haven't heard of that statistic, but it sounds about right to me. Her name often crops up in sf & fantasy circles, more so recently than ever before. It could be that we are about to experience an upsurge in Regency and rocketship novels. Perhaps I should get in early.

As far as crossover novels go, I've enjoyed the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik, which is set during the Napoleonic Wars, but that's about it. No, wait - there is of course also Susanna Clarke's 'Jonathon Strange and Mr Norrell' which I loved. I should read it again. I know Mary Robinette Kowal has written a Regency-fantasy novel which has been well reviewed called 'Shades of Milk and Honey', but I haven't read it yet. Regency-SF crossover, that's a different kettle of fish. Nothing comes to mind. I've enjoyed the anthology 'New Ceres Nights' published by Twelfth Planet Press, but those stories are SF - Age of Enlightenment crossovers. Not quite the same thing, but close.