"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Sunday, January 1, 2012

Well halloooo there, 2012.

I'm going to kick start 2012 by making the first day of this fresh, new year a writing day. My goal is to finish that steampunk/wuxia story so it can simmer for a week before I pull it apart again.

Also, I got an idea this morning for shaking things up - a strictly no pressure writing project that will nonetheless involve daily, or at least regular input; which must throughout the year continue to entertain me and make me laugh during the grind of non-holiday life or I'll ditch it because it then no longer serves its purpose of reminding me that writing should also be fun; which will be quite ritualised and involve an impressive piece of stationary that I've been holding onto for about 6 years (it was found by someone else in a dumpster at the Arvo Job, which just proves that some people have no idea when it comes to the magic inherent in big, bound volumes, and then given to me, which makes it even more special) and which should, by year's end, provide me with enough material for a more disciplined sit-down-and-write session in 2013.

I also have other, time-to-question-the-safe-daily-rut-and-make-some-serious-decisions kind of plans for the months ahead, but then who doesn't on 1st January? (and here's wishing you all well with your own goals) After all, the whole point of arbitrarily slicing and dicing Time into measurable units is so that we humans can schedule ourselves into a corner and precisely gauge our individual worthiness according to milestones set by self-appointed authorities on the subject of what constitutes a Successful Life. Or not. :) Anyway, by my own considered opinion, and I'm not a rash person, it's time to put on my brave hat.

So, come on in and pull up a bar stool, 2012. Let's see what sort of a year you are.

No comments: