"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Did it!

On Monday, on my way to the Arvo Job, as I was crossing a park (the slightly magical one that so often provides interesting writing ideas and story breakthroughs), a golf ball came whizzing through the air at an extremely high velocity, shot past my head and thwacked into the sports field beyond. Just a few hand spans to the left and bam! Cranial crunch time!

I immediately went into alternative universe mode and thought That'd be right. A person goes through the bother of being sliced and diced by surgeons, spends months recuperating, and then on a sunny day, just five minutes away from a triumphant return to normal life, gets knocked unconscious, or worse, by a recreational missile. Okay, it didn't happen in this reality, only almost, but a lot of unfair stuff occurs in this world, and sometimes it's only a matter of unfortunate people being in the wrong place and the wrong time. Move a little faster or slower on a certain day, and your fate changes. It's quite scary sometimes. As is, I was just happy not to become a sad headline or tragic topic of conversation. Life, right then and there, could have suddenly become a whole lot worse.

Anyway, thrilling near-miss aside, I've just made it through two days of commuting and putting on a reasonable show of business-as-usual industriousness at the Arvo Job. Tomorrow - or rather today, since it's just after midnight -  will be a (oh, thank goodness!) breather, a day for sleeping in, reading, writing, walking, submitting a story or two, napping, baking bread and building up energy for the rest of the week.

Nice.

2 comments:

Steve Cameron said...

Great to hear.

The coping, that is - not the near miss.

Steve

Gitte Christensen said...

Thank you, Steve. Yep, it's great to be able to complain about work again and moan about how I wish I had more time off for writing...

:-)