"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Monday, July 2, 2012

Go Figure

So I spent a while this morning doing research and deciding that I couldn't possibly write a steampunk Cthulu story for an anthology with that theme, then went for my daily medicinal walk. Lo and behold, I arrived home a few hours later with the whole of just such a tale in my head - main characters, voice, ending, first line, the lot.

But is it any good? I'm always suspicious when a story comes too easily. Appreciative, but suspicious. Mind you, I've only put down that first line so far (it was inspired by a rack of DVDs in front of a shop I passed - one of the titles was Contagion - crossed with something I then read about 5 minutes later on a community notice board). Possibly actually writing the story will throw up enough roadblocks to make me feel suitably tormented and subsequently less leery of it. :)

But now I really, really need to get writing again soon, rather than just thinking about it all the time. My muse has returned to duty, but alas, my writing oomph is still MIA.

3 comments:

parlance said...

Glad your muse is back.

BTW, just saw a page about an anthology based on Dali. I don't know it it's your sort of thing, but thought I would mention it. (Or you might know about it already.)

http://www.obsolescent.info/submissions/daliances-the-salvador-dali-anthology/

Gitte Christensen said...

Thank you very much for the link. I'll take a look at it. You just never know.

Gitte Christensen said...

It looks good. Thank you, I might give it a go. I actually tried to come up with something for their last antho - Suction Cup Dreams - and although I had an idea, it just didn't gel in time. Seeing the TOC just now, I wish I'd made an extra effort to get it done.