"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Tuesday, July 10, 2012

HB to Me

So I've been busy. Not busy according to my usual every-micro-second-must-be-packed-with-useful-activities definition of busy, but a substantial-lowering-of-the-bar, post-operative busy as in 'more than one extra thing to do above and beyond the daily routine of eating, napping, going for a walk, napping, doing medical stuff, reading and an hour or two of writing'. I had guests over the weekend, which entailed getting a head start last week with squeezing in additional tasks and initiating a precise plan to feed them. Fortunately, I was provided with back-up support, it was all very low key, and no-one was that fussy anyway.

But it was all worth it because I received presents! I got a lemon tree in a gigantic terracotta pot to add to my collection around the Xmas swing oasis-nook, money for spending on nice things (done yesterday), plus my sister delivered a lovely, hand painted candle lamp from J ( a.k.a. the apple and blueberry crumble making lady), and my littlest brother's boss, whom I don't even know, sent me a huge feel-good hamper full of chocolates, magazines, other assorted goodies, bedsocks and booze, while another of his acquaintances gave me some feng shui articles to promote healing (two very different approaches to getting better, and I appreciate the kindness of both), all of which I can add to the presents given to me earlier for my post-surgery, therapeutic convenience, namely the blu-ray and wide screen TV which have kept me well entertained these past five weeks. A good haul :-)

So yes, I'm a year (plus one day too, now) older, and thank goodness for that. Any person who is ungrateful and ungracious enough to whinge about having to add another 12 months to their age CV is a person with no sense of perspective.

Anyway, it's a beautiful dark and  rainy day, perfect for guilt-free cocooning and recharging my batteries. I plan to polish and sub a hopefully funny story to a spec-fic humour anthology, and, as per usual, keep an excited eye on my emails for possible sales.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!

(Same birthday as my hubby. Cool!)

May there be many more to come :)

Thoraiya

Steve Cameron said...

Happy Birthday!

Sounds like you had a great one.

Cheers

Steve

Gitte Christensen said...

Thank you, Steve.

Yes, I thoroughly enjoyed the fuss, and probably appreciated it all more than I normally do. And it was nice to play hostess for a while and shake off a few of the patienty cobwebs accumulating about my person.

Gitte Christensen said...

Thank you, Thoraiya. Your hubby must be a sterling fellow indeed,for it's a well known and scientifically documented fact that people born on our birthday are truly exceptional folk ;)

And yes, I too hope for many more birthdays - as many as it takes to collect enough trees for a lemon grove to fund my retirement, and then a few more decades of making lemonade after that.

parlance said...

Happy Birthday! I hope the celebration has put you in a comical mood and the humour just pours from your fingers onto the screen.

Gitte Christensen said...

Thank you, parlance. It was a mood lifter.

And yes, here's hoping that my sense of humour and what tickles the antho editors' respective funny bones converge.