"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Three Philosophical Phrases Of Life


I feel the universe is sending momentous messages my way this week, although as is usual with such randomly acquired input collected by my obsessively pattern-searching brain, I have yet to decipher the full depth of this cosmic communication in a way that satisfactorily suits my own agenda. Anyway, whilst reading articles about different topics in various publications over the past few days, I've come across this scattering of philosophical clues to the Meaning of Life.

There's plan de vida, a Costa Rican term to describe a lifelong sense of purpose. It doesn't have to be big and world-changing, it just has to be there.

And ikigai, a Japanese term used in Okinawa, meaning "the reason for which you wake up in the morning".  If you've got this covered, apparently it adds to your happiness index and life expectancy.

Finally, wu wei, the Taoist principle of non-action, is about not forcing a solution or seeking to gain control but being aware and going with the natural flow of things. It sounds like a few stories I've written.

So what does it all mean? Does it mean even anything? Is the universe targeting me as a special snowflake, or am I just another grubby mortal scrambling about in the mud to make sense of the chaos around me? Who knows? Who cares? I shall ponder this as, taking a deep breath, relaxing and going with the flow, I head off to the Arvo Job. I'm deferring my usual midweek collapse day until tomorrow. It'll be interesting to see how that goes. I haven't worked three days in a row in the city since May last year. Crossing fingers.

No comments: