"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Little Shop of Haute Couture

Since one can never flog a theme too much, I thought I’d share one of my end-of-a-long-slog-at-the-Arvo-Job-and-commuting pleasures, which is peeking into the window of this shop each evening at the recreated vintage clothes. It’s just up the road from where I live, so I’m almost home when I reach it, which is enough to make me feel warm and glowy, but this shop adds to my satisfaction. It’s a bright patch of light and fun and colour on a dark corner in a country town, and looks quite magical when I hit it at close to midnight. I always take a moment to check out the latest display of dresses and jewelry, and fantasize about having enough money, makeup, time, patience and guts to go with that 50s look.

The girl who runs this place absolutely adores her little business, and it shows. The place reeks of happiness and bustling contentment. She regularly changes the window displays, and the dresses seem to becoming more and more elegant. I’d say the whole Mad Men fashion craze has upped her customer base, ensures a speedy turnover, and has created a market for more and more voguish designs. The Grace Kelly exhibition at the Bendigo Art Gallery won’t have hurt either.

No comments: