"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Earthly delights

I'm looking forward to Another Earth, which is being hailed as 'the science fiction movie that rocked the Sundance Festival' simply because, golly gosh, it’s SF and cluey film buffs actually liked the poetic concept of a second Earth with a population that mirrors that of our own, and enjoyed the intellectual game of tackling the hypothetical possibilities inherent in that scenario. Imagine, you can do big scale, otherworldly stories and still explore the human condition.

Of course, the second I read the premise, my mind went back to the 1969 British science fiction film Doppelgänger, also known as Journey to the Far Side of the Sun. This movie creeped me out in so many ways when I watched and rewatched it many, many years ago, and that eeriness has stayed with me even though the details of the movie have grown blurrier. The fact that the protagonist was right and no-one believed him, and the sinister atmosphere created around our hero's trials, it all seemed incredibly powerful back then. And that ending! My young mind chewed upon it and mulled over the unfairness of it for ages. It's probably one of those movies that it's best to not see again lest my older and more critical faculties kick in, and instead just coast on my intense, youthful response to it and enjoy the memory.

No comments: