"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Smart is as smart does

My Arvo Job, rest-my-eyes-from-computer-screens, lunchtime audio book at the moment is The Return Of Sherlock Holmes read with great vim and verve by Sir Derek Jacobi. The premise, most obviously and clearly given away by the title, is that the great 'consulting detective' is back from the dead after having supposedly gone over the Reichenbach Falls together with his nemesis Moriarty.

However, and I hesitate to mention this since the character is somewhat sacrosanct and I may offend the eccentric one's many fans, as the days pass, I increasingly suspect that Holmes isn't, hmmm, how should I put this, isn't quite as brilliant as he constantly likes to tell everyone he is (sometimes he does go on and on and on about it). There seems to be a hefty dose of authorial flim-flam happening. But, that said, I'm enjoying the book immensely.

No comments: