"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Friday, July 15, 2011

Grist for the mill

So how about a story that's a cross between Edgar Allan Poe's The Tell-Tale Heart (doof doof) and Avram Davidson's Crazy Old Lady but with a samurai sword instead of a grenade? Well, maybe I'll drop the samurai sword, but otherwise it could work...

Now Let Us Sleep (I weep just remembering the ending) and Or All the Seas with Oysters (apparently one the foremost ripped-off-by-writing-students SF stories) are still my all-time favourite Avram Davidson stories natch, but I must admit, Crazy Old Lady is one of those stories that I'm appreciating more and more as time passes.

Anyway, it's all quiet again, and has been for a few hours. I've reduced my 9k story to 5960 words - I think I'll go cut another 60 words and then call it a night.

No comments: