"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Rain, rain, stay today

I couldn't have asked for better weather for my AJWWB - it's been pouring down all week. Excellent snuggle up with the cats at the keyboard weather, the sound of rain on the roof adding to the cosy factor. So far, I'm getting about 6 solid hours of work done a day and am building up to more as my brain limbers up and remembers how to do long haul fiction writing. Each afternoon, after a morning of reading, writing, checking my emails for rejections and feeding the soggy-looking chook, I bundle up, open my umbrella and go for a walk and a think, then visit the library or catch up with folk, and possibly do a bit of shopping (which seems more like a recreational activity than a chore when you're on holidays) before heading home for the second keyboard shift. Evenings are for other things.

My big project seems to be a big muddle at the moment, which is to be expected at this stage, with the inevitable choices of what to keep, what to ditch and what to add whirling inside my head. When trying to second guess readers, editors and publishers gets too much, I take a break from the big stuff and work on a shorter piece. I finished the Spirit story yesterday. Now it can sit for a while.

Anyway, back to work :)

No comments: