"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Thursday, March 8, 2012

Dialogue Between a Writer and a Declining Editor

Scene: I receive, via email, lovely, confidence-boosting words about my brand new automaton story from the Editor-in-Chief of a pro magazine and react as follows in the privacy of my home office.

EiC: I really like your writing.

Me: Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you.

EiC: Alas, I just purchased something very similar.

Me: Drats! If only I'd sent it off earlier instead of tinkering with it for so long! I might have pipped that other story at the post.

Me (after a moment): And what do you mean very similar? Surely I'm incredibly original?

Me (after another moment): I blame that movie Hugo. Automatons are probably the new vampires.

EiC: Please, do continue to send stories.

Me: Oh, all right, if you insist :)

N.B. This nice rejection was not one of the two pending pro mag possibilities that I'm still on tenterhooks over.

No comments: