"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Saturday, March 3, 2012

Graphic Silence

Tonight's film came with an earnest warning.

“Do you know”, said the girl who handed over the tickets, “That this movie is in black and white, and that it’s silent?”
“Yes,” I answered, “That’s the whole point, isn’t it?”
“I knoooow, but I HAVE to warn you,” she moaned.

Apparently some people have complained. Apparently some people have stormed out of sessions and demanded their money back. Apparently some people are utterly clueless.

I’ve seen films that should have come with a warning, like “Do you know that this movie pretends to be brave but isn’t?”, or “Do you know that this movie is nothing but car chases with bits of meaningless dialogue in between?”, or “Do you know that this movie has a 4S saccharine rating, enough to rot your teeth?”, or “Do you know that this movie is structured to show off the limited acting range of the Big Star cast as the main character rather than to actually make sense or entertain you?”

However, with the mega-hyped The Artist, I was pretty sure I understood the fundamentals of what I was getting into.

Apparently some people live in a bubble.

No comments: