"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Sunday, March 18, 2012

Simple Sunday

I slept in, I scribbled some, I submitted stories, I sashayed into town to sip chai and chat with an artist friend about many issues including ye olde subject concerning the vicissitudes of balancing day jobs with the need for time to do creative stuff, then sauntered home in the glorious sunshine to hang out with the cats (and chook), do more scriberly work and wishful subbing.

I also scanned my emails regularly - there are a few pending decisions that I'm starting to get seriously keyed up about, which is NOT good. Too hopeful + excited + rejection = sad writer.

It doesn't sound impressive, but it was a lovely day. Simple is often best.

***Less lovely were the 2 dead rats (uneaten) I found in the backyard this afternoon - Cooper has been a busy boy of late. Last week, he left a dead rat right outside the kitchen door. I'm used to mouse tails and the occasional mouse head turning up these days because there's an over abundance of rodents in the country areas at the moment. Not in my house, but obviously the homes surrounding me are regretting their catlessness. Or not. Whenever I'm out in the backyard, I see Cooper jumping backwards and forwards over the neighbours' fences, bringing back his catches. Really, I should charge my neighbours for his rodent removal services. In the good old days, when honest folk truly appreciated a master mouser, I could possibly have sold Cooper for an exorbitant price and retired to a life of luxury.

No comments: