"I'm just going to write because I can't help it."- Charlotte Brontë


Thursday, March 29, 2012

Midnight Run

Ah, there's nothing like running around at 12.30 in the morning in the pitch dark with a high beam torch chasing a rogue dog out of the backyard so one my cats could come in. I was wondering what had become of Polly when she wasn't waiting out the front with Cooper as usual, but it wasn't until I looked out the kitchen window and saw a wagging tail disappear into the gloom, then heard a lot of crashing and crunching vegetation and excited panting. Out I went with my trusty torch and discovered first upturned garden furniture and then spotted a shaggy shape with glowing eyes up on the chook shed looking down at me like some demonic beast from a Stephen King novel.

Yes, it was up on the chook shed. The shed is on a slope, as most things are in this old goldmining town, so it's not so high to jump up onto from behind. The dog then leapt from the shed roof over the side fence into the neighbour's yard (but it's not their dog). A few minutes later, the beastie was back, and I had to chase it out again. It seemed awfully savvy about getting in and out, so I don't think this was its first visit.

Possibly I've discovered the culprit responsible for defeathering the chook a couple of weeks ago.

No comments: